One of the most basic issues that we encounter at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Provo is dirty air filters. They may seem like a very small piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot greater than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a number of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a handful of the side effects you may encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the largest issue you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working a lot harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder as a result of a filthy air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Reduced energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any likely damage that could come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters we have, give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 801-396-0637 or schedule an appointment online.